Scope of the Problem
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death among college students, and almost 1,100 suicides are projected to occur on campuses this year.
- Over half of college students reported some form of suicidal thinking in their lives.
- 18% of undergraduates and 15% of graduate students reported they had 'seriously considered attempting suicide.'
- 1 in 12 college students reported having a suicide plan in the prior year.
- 8% of undergraduates and 5% of graduate students reported having attempted suicide at least once during their lives.
- 40% of students reported knowing someone who attempted suicide, 28% have known someone who completed suicide.
- Students reported reasons for feeling suicidal including depression, trouble with relationships, stress, hopelessness, family problems, anxiety, and social isolation.