Welcome to the neighborhood! As MU students living off-campus, it can be difficult to acclimate to life away from home and out of the residence halls. Here are a few tips you can use to help your new neighborhood feel a little more like home:
When you move in, there are some things you need to do first!
Do you know what to do and look for during the move- in process.
- Schedule a check-in time with your property owner.
- ALWAYS fill out a condition checklist before moving your things in.
- BE SPECIFIC: what is it, how big is it, and where is it located. Don’t forget to look at furniture too.
Do you have a working camera and place to securely store pictures?
- Take pictures of the place prior to moving any of your belongings in.
Do you know what to do if you have concerns on walk-through day?
- It is important for you and the property owner to both agree on any discrepancies before you move in.
Do you know how to set up your utilities?
- Who services your new place (City of Columbia, Boone Electric, Ameren) and which utilities you wil need to set up (electricity, water, trash, sewer and gas).
Where is the location of the fuse or breaker box and water shut off?